Methods to Block Banner Ads in Yahoo Mail
We all know that the popular web-based email services such as Yahoo and Gmail are free of cost. But, have you ever wondered how these companies earn their revenue. Well, the answer to this question quite simple and straightforward. These email service providers generate a lot of revenue through the advertising space. Yahoo provides a banner space in your Yahoo mail inbox to the advertisers to show you their ads. Generally, these banner ads are not that harmful but can be immensely irritating at times. That’s why many Yahoo users keep on asking how they can block banner ads in Yahoo Mail.
Yahoo offers a very simple mechanism to hide or block banner Ads in Yahoo Mail. In this tutorial, we will discuss the complete details regarding this mechanism of blocking or hiding banner Ads in Yahoo.
How dangerous are the Banner Ads in Yahoo Mail?
Generally, these Ads are not dangerous. Actually, they are mostly pushed according to your online activities. For example, if you are searching for an Air conditioner through the Yahoo search engine then most of the time you will be served with the Ad of an Air conditioner. This happens because if you are logged in to your Yahoo account then Yahoo keeps tracking your online activity to serve you the relevant content. However, many of these ads can be distractive as well; these distractive ads can redirect you to dangerous websites if you click on them by mistake. So, it is a smart idea to hide or block banner Ads in Yahoo Mail.
- Hide Advertising on Yahoo Emails.
- Take a Yahoo Ad Free Mail subscription.
- Install an Ad Blocker.
Let’s discuss these methods in detail
Hide Advertising on Yahoo Emails
It is not compulsory to block the ads in yahoo mail to avoid seeing them instead you can simply hide them as well. Here is how you can hide ads in Yahoo mail.
- First of all, you need to log into your yahoo account.
- Find the arrow pointing at the direction right between your emails and advertisement.
- The advertisement will get hidden as soon as you click on this arrow.
Note: Although the ad will get hidden by clicking the arrow this is not permanent. The ad will come back next time you open an email. You need to click the arrow every time in order to hide the advertisement.
Take a Yahoo Ad Free Mail subscription.
In case you can afford to pay Yahoo then you can permanently remove advertising. It will cost you around $ 4.99 per year. In order to do that, you need to upgrade to the Ad-Free Mail account. Here is how you can upgrade to Yahoo Ad Free Mail account.
- Go to your Yahoo mail account and open settings menu.
- Choose “Ad Free Mail” and follow the instruction that will appear on your screen to pay through the Yahoo Wallet.
- Upgrading to Ad-Free mail also ensure that your account will never be inactive again.
Install an Ad Blocker.
Another way of blocking banner Ads in Yahoo mail is installing the ad blocker add-on or extension in your browser. Some of the most popular Ad blockers extensions are AdBlock, AdBlock plus etc. Here is how you can use these extensions to block Banner Ads in Yahoo Mail.
Block Banner Ads in Yahoo Mail on Google Chrome
- Run Google chrome and click on the menu (three vertical dots) from the top right corner.
- Go to the “more tools” option from the drop-down menu and click Extensions.
- Click on the “Get more extensions” link.
- Search for the “AdBlock”.
- Then, you need to click the “+ Free” button available next to the AdBlock extension.
- Click on “Add”.
- Now, the AdBlock button will be appearing next to your Chrome menu button. Click on the AdBlock button.
- Choose “Options” to open a new tab.
- Check the “Filter list” option and make sure that “Easy List” is checked.
- Finally, you need to restart chrome so that changes can take place.
Block Yahoo Mail Banners Ads on Firefox
- Open Firefox and click on the menu button from the corner.
- Choose “Add-ons”
- Search for the “AdBlock Plus”.
- Click on the “Install” button available right next to the AdBlock Plus.
- Click on the “ABP” button that will be appearing next to the Firefox menu.
- Choose “Filter Preferences”.
- Make sure that the “Easy List” is checked.
- Make sure to uncheck the box against “Allow some non-intrusive advertising”.
You don’t have to do anything else. Now, AdBlock Plus will block banner Ads in Yahoo Mail with ease.