How to Switch from Gmail to Outlook? Everyone has its own tastes and preferences when it comes to email services. Although Gmail is immensely popular and loaded with all the necessary features still it doesn’t make up to the expectation level of many users. Gone are the days when you have to stick around with Gmail even if you don’t like it. Nowadays, you can switch from Gmail to other email services with ease. In this tutorial, we will discuss how you can switch from Gmail to Outlook.
The process of switching from Gmail to MS Outlook is quite simple. At the same time, you have to be very careful because even a small mistake can lead to an error. Once you are done with switching to Outlook.com from Gmail, you can check the email message that will arrive in the inbox of your Gmail on your Outlook email account.
How can I migrate from Gmail to MS Outlook?
Migrating to MS Outlook from Gmail is a multiple-step process. The steps by which you can easily switch to Microsoft Outlook from Gmail are given below:
- Import email messages from Gmail to Outlook.com
- Forward new emails from Gmail to MS Outlook.
- Move your Gmail contacts to Outlook
- Move over your Gmail calendar items to Microsoft Outlook
After completing these four steps, all your emails, contacts and calendar information from Gmail account will appear in your Outlook account. Let’s move on and discuss these steps in detail.
Detailed steps to switch from Gmail to a Microsoft Outlook email account
As we have mentioned above, there are four generic steps that you need to follow in order to switch from Gmail to Outlook.com. Let’s discuss each step to migrate from Gmail to Outlook in detail.
How to transfer existing email from the Gmail account to Outlook?
The first thing, you should do is export the email from your Gmail inbox to Outlook. Here’s how you can do it.
- To initiate the process, you have to sign-in to your Outlook.com email account. If you don’t have an Outlook email account then you have to create one.
- After logging in to your Outlook account, you should click on the “Settings” (Gear icon) from the top.
- From the drop-down menu, you should click on the “More Mail settings”.
- Then, you have to click on the “Import Email Accounts” option that is available under the “Managing your account” section.
- After that, you have to click on the “Google” button.
- Now, in a new dialog box, you have to click on the “Start” button.
- Then, you have to sign in to your Google Account.
- Give MS Outlook permission to access your Gmail account by clicking on the “Accept” button.
That’s it; the importing process will now start. You have to wait for a while depending upon the size of your inbox.
Forward new incoming emails from your Gmail to MS Outlook account
After the first steps, all the emails in your Gmail inbox are transferred to Outlook. However, the new email will still land in your Gmail inbox. You can set up Gmail to forward the new email to your Outlook account by steps given below:
- Log in to your Gmail account and open settings by clicking on the settings gear icon from the top-right corner.
- Choose the “Settings” option from the drop-down menu.
- Open the “Forwarding and POP/ IMAP” tab.
- After that, you should click on the “Add a forwarding address” button.
- Then, you need to enter your “Outlook.com” email address and click on the “Next” button.
- In the next step, you have to confirm your outlook email address.
- Open your outlook inbox and locate the confirmation email from Google regarding Gmail emails forwarding.
- Click on the first link that is available in the confirmation email.
Now, you are all set to check your new incoming Gmail message in the Outlook email account.
How to Migrate Gmail contact to Outlook.com?
You can also transfer your Gmail contacts to Outlook as well. Here are the complete steps that you should follow in order to do so.
- First of all, you have to go to the “Google Contacts” page.
- Then, click on the “More” button and choose “Export”.
- Select the contacts that you are looking to export.
- After that, you should select “Outlook CSV format” as the export format and click on “Export”.
- Now, you can import this CSV files within your Outlook account.
- Open your outlook account and click on the “File” button from the top.
- Click on “open” followed “Import”.
- Then you have to select the CSV file and import contacts.
You should note that some of the steps to import Gmail contacts can be different for different Outlook versions such as 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 etc.
Transfer Gmail calendar items to MS Outlook
In order to switch from Gmail to Outlook completely, you should also transfer the Gmail calendar items to MS Outlook. To do that, you have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the “Calendar” section of the Gmail website.
- Then, you should open your Google Calendar page.
- After that, you need to hover your mouse on the calendar that you are looking to export.
- Click on the arrow pointing down next to the calendar.
- Choose the “Calendar settings” followed by “Export this calendar”
- All the calendar events will be exported to the ICS file.
- You can import these events on Outlook through these ICS files.
- If you are using Outlook 2013 or 2016 then you can import ICS file by clicking on the “File option” followed by the “Open and Export”.
- After “Open and Export”, you should click on the “Import/ Export”.
- Select the “Import an iCalendar (.ics) or vCalendar file (.vcs)” option and keep following the instructions that will appear on the screen.