How to Repair Corrupt Microsoft Access Database?
Like all other applications of Microsoft, MS Access is also very popular. If you are using Microsoft Access then you might know that it is a Database Management System (DBMS). It is used by a lot of companies all around the globe to manage their Data effectively. The database files keep on growing as you use them regularly. Occasionally, they can also get corrupt or damaged. A damaged and corrupt database can be devastating for your company’s growth. That’s why it is important to repair corrupt Microsoft Access Database as early as possible.
You can repair corrupt access database automatically when it is close. Additionally, you can also repair it manually when it is open. This tutorial will provide you with the complete procedure to repair corrupt Microsoft Access Database with ease.
List of corrupt MS Access Database Error with Solutions and Step By Step
- Repair a corrupt MS Access Database when it prompts you to do so
- Manually compact and repair Access Database with it is not open
- How can I manually repair corrupt Access Database when it is open?
- How to Repair Corrupt Microsoft Access Database Automatically
Things to know before to repair or recover Access Database
There are some important actions that you should take before you repair corrupt Microsoft Access Database as given below.
- Take of backup of the Database: When repairing the database, Access may truncate some of the data from the tables that are corrupted. Many a time, it is possible to recover this data if you have a backup. That’s why you should take a backup of Access database before starting to repair it.
- Get exclusive access to the database: It is necessary to have exclusive access to the database files before repairing them because repairing the files may disrupt other users. It is also better to inform other users when you are planning to repair MS access.
- Get sufficient file permission to the database: You should also contact your system administrator to get all the permission to repair a database.
How to Repair Corrupt Microsoft Access Database Automatically
You can use the “compact on close database” option to repair the database automatically. In this setting, the database will get repaired automatically when you close it. You should note that this setting is applicable only to the database which is currently open. If you want to repair multiple databases then you need to set this option separately for each database. Here is how you can repair corrupt MS access database automatically.
- First of all, you need to open “File” followed by the “Options”.
- Then select “Current Database” in the “Access Options” dialog box.
- Go to the “Application Options” and tick the “Compact on close” checkbox.
- After that, you should click on the “OK” button.
- Now, you may close and re-open the database so that the repair can take place.
Note: You should not use this option in the multiuser databases because it may briefly disrupt the availability of the database.
How can I manually repair corrupt Access Database when it is open?
It is quite easy to manually repair access database 2016 or any other version of MS access database if it is open. All you need to do is follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, you should choose “File” and then “Info”.
- After that, you just need to click on the “Compact & Repair Database” button.
You don’t have to do anything else. Now, the MS access will create a copy of the repaired database at the exact same location.
Manually compact and repair Access Database with it is not open
If you are unable to open MS Access Database then you can repair it by following the steps given below:
- First of all, you need to ensure that no other user is accessing the MS access database currently.
- Run “MS access”.
- Follow the steps given below if you are using MS Access 2013, 2016 or 2019.
- Double-click the “Blank Database” on the templates page.
- Choose “File”.
- Select “Close” from the menu.
- Then, you need to open “Database Tools”.
- Select “Compact and Repair Database” from the menu that will appear.
- Now, in the “Database to compact from” dialog box, you need to locate and double-click on the database you are looking to compact and repair.
That’s all you need to do in order to repair corrupt Microsoft Access Database. The MS Access will create a copy of the repaired database in the same location.
Repair a corrupt MS Access Database when it prompts you to do so
Whenever you try to open a corrupted Database, you will be prompted to repair it. Here, you just need to select “yes”. Then, the following two things can happen.
- If the MS access repairing process is successful then you will receive a confirmation message. You may open the database content and be sure that every bit of data is as it should be.
- If the repair process is only partially successful then you may find the data that is not repaired in the table with the name “MSysCompactErrors”. If you have a previously saved database backup then you can check the MSyscomptactErrors table and import the files that are not repaired.
Some Important things you should know about a corrupt MS Access Database
Now that you know the process to repair corrupt Microsoft Access database, here are a few important things that you should know regarding the Access database corruption. This will help you a lot if your access database keeps getting corrupted.
- The risk of a Database corruption is more when you regularly edit the data in Memo fields.
- The Corrupt MS Access databases can cause serious problems with the Visual Basic of Applications (VBA) module. You may lose a VBA code due to a corrupt MS Access Database.
- It is quite rare to experience data loss due to MS Access Database corruption. However, you may lose a bit of data after the database repairing is complete.